Shaker Historical Society & Museum

Shaker Historical Society & Museum

The society operates a museum with a collection of over 1,700 objects, a library and archive with primary and secondary materials, conducts school tours and organizes a wide variety of programs. Located on the site of the former North Union Shaker Colony, it is one of twelve stops on the National Shaker Heritage Trail and one of 62 properties administered by The Ohio Historical Society. The society's collection, exhibits, programs, events and activities revolve around this historic legacy. In 1956, once the society had amassed a collection, it set up a permanent exhibit in a local elementary school. By 1970, the collection had grown significantly, and it was moved to its current location, a 1910 Prairie/Tudor style residential house, one of the earliest structures of the then new "Shaker Heights Village." Designed by architect Daniel A. Reamer (1871-1926) for Louis and Blanche Myers, it was donated to the state of Ohio for use of The Shaker Historical Society by their son, Frank A. Myers. Today, it serves visitors from around the world, nation and region including students, scholars and those seeking to connect with local history.