Indians used it and early travelers and explorers counted on finding water here. It bears the name of one explorer. Caption J. H. Simpson, who stopped here in 1858 while searching for an overland mail route between Salt Lake City and California. George Chorpenning established a mail station in 1858, which was later used by the Pony Express and Overland Express. When gold mining started at Gold Hill in 1893 Simpson Springs took on a new importance as a station for freighters and stages until the mid 1920's. In the 1930's, the spring became the water supply for the Civilian Conservation Corps Camp located just south of the springs. Today visitors to Simpson Springs can enjoy a 20 unit campsite that offers picnic tables, fire pits, charcoal grills and vaulted toilets.