Technology Manager & Webmaster, American Heritage Society (Rockville, MD)
The American Heritage Society is looking to hire immediately a fulltime technology manager and webmaster to oversee the development and management of our main website, AmericanHeritage.com, and three new digital initiatives (more detail below). This individual will manage relationships with outside programmers; work with the outside design team and manage development of the graphic interface; convert and upload text and images; supervise internal and external editors creating content with the Drupal CMS; assist with SEO and online marketing, etc. The technology manager will report to the consulting CTO and to the President of the Society. See more detail in Responsibilities below.
IMPORTANT NOTE: we are not looking for long-distance developers. Please do not apply for this position if you are not willing and able to come to the office on a regular basis.
This opening has great potential for the right individual. Our three major new national websites will be transformative in their fields.
The American Heritage family of websites is built using open source software, specifically the LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP) and the Drupal content management platform.
- Collaborate with American Heritage leadership in planning, technology selection, design, and budgeting of new web initiatives
- Manage design development, testing, and deployment of new website features
- Ensure sites meet quality standards -- usability, content standards, etc.
- Monitor site usage, performance, and availability
- Identify actions required to meet performance and availability targets
- Manage site hardware and software configuration
- Manage site security
- Monitor activity of the relevant open source communities
- Provide support for online marketing and advertising campaigns
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related field
- At least two years of experience with web site and web application development and operation
- Knowledge of interactive website architecture and technologies
- Hands on experience with Linux. Apache, MySQL, PHP, HTML, XML, and CSS
- Experience with Drupal
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment with technical and non-technical staff
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- Knowledge of American history and/or the history of engineering
- Experience with education technology
Background on the Society:
The American Heritage Society (AHS) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit educational organization located in Rockville, MD. It publishes the 60-year-old American Heritage Magazine, the oldest and most respected magazine about American history. Its website contains 10,000 digitized essays by famous historians. See http://www.americanheritage.com. American Heritage recently published its much-praised 60th Anniversary issue, with articles by 14 Pulitzer Prize-winning authors. For more information, see our press release at: "American Heritage Celebrates 60th Anniversary".
Our primary digital initiative, Heritage Education, will provide educational resources for K-12 history teachers and college professors. It will be an innovative, easy-to-use system that offers access to more than 10,000 essays that have appeared in American Heritage bundled with primary documents. A key goal of the project will be to align with Common Core State Standards and meet the needs of ELA and social studies teachers in grades 7-12, including AP courses. A pilot version of this "one-stop shopping" website will roll out in August 2013, and a more fully featured Learning Management System rolled out at the end of 2013. It has the potential to be used by thousands of schoolteachers and benefiting as many as five million students. More information is at the brochure website: "www.HeritageEducation.org".
The Society is also spearheading development of another major web initiative, the National Portal to Historic Collections, which will allow museums and historical institutions to put their collections online easily and inexpensively. At present, only about 5% of history museums have any part of their collections online, so vast amounts of important historical materials are not readily available to historians, students, researchers, collectors, and the general public. Content includes historic photographs, paintings, artifacts, and documents. The National Portal is supported by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities. We are seeking funding from other foundations and government agencies.
We are also developing a major new website on the history of technology, engineering, and innovation, based around 25 years of digitized articles that appeared in our other magazine, Invention & Technology, the only popular magazine of the history of innovation, technology and invention. The website will have substantial new content on the history of invention, and is being developed in partnership with the National Academy of Engineering, IEEE, ASCE, ASME, and other leading engineering societies. A prototype of the website can be viewed at www.InnovationGateway.org.
How to Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter either through Craigslist, by email to jobs [at] americanheritage.com or snail mail.
Melissa Hunsiker, VP Administration
American Heritage Publishing Co.
416 Hungerford Drive, Suite 216
Rockville, MD 20850
No phone calls please.
For more information, see these recent articles about us:
NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/24/books/24arts-AMERICANHERI_BRF.html?_r=1&oref=slogin
New York Post: http://www.nypost.com/seven/10232007/business/american_heritage_revived.htm
Library Journal: http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6522929.html
Folio Magazine: http://www.foliomag.com/2007/new-american-heritage-owner-bringing-mag-back-its-roots
- Location: Rockville, MD
- Compensation: TBD
- This is at a non-profit organization.
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- Please, no phone calls about this job!
- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.