In anticipation of Utah's statehood, Brigham Young directed construction of the building as the state's capitol. The Statehouse is the south wing of a large domed capitol building in the form of a Roman cross, designed by Truman O. Angell. It is the only portion of that envisioned structure ever built and was finished in time for the December 1855 meeting of the Territorial Legislature, which was the only full session held in the old statehouse. The Daughters of the Utah Pioneers restored the Statehouse and reopened it as a museum in 1930. Today it houses an excellent collection of Mormon pioneer artifacts.