Webb Deane Stevens Museum

Webb Deane Stevens Museum

The Webb-Deane-Stevens Museum, owned and managed by the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Connecticut, operates four remarkable 18th century houses, three of which are National Historic Landmarks. The 1752 Joseph Webb House served as George Washington’s headquarters in May 1781, and was later owned by Wallace Nutting. The Silas Deane House, circa 1770, was built for America’s Revolutionary War diplomat to France as both his residence and as a power base for his political aspirations. The Isaac Stevens House, 1789, depicts the life of a middle class family in the 1820s and 30s using many original family possessions. The newly opened second floor features the Colonial Dames' toy collection, a children’s bed chamber and interactive exhibits on child life and play in the early 19th century. The three houses stand on their original foundations next door to one another on Main Street in Wethersfield. The Webb House Colonial Revival Garden, based upon Amy Cogswell’s 1921 designs, and the Webb Barn, a popular site for meetings and weddings, are behind the Webb House.