- Historic Sites
Advertisements for specific products, services or destinations on this website are for the information of the public, and do not constitute an endorsement or recommendation by this institution, its officers, employees or agents.
This photograph depicts the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics' (NACA) Langley Memorial Laboratory, opened in 1917 with the first pressurized (variable density) wind tunnel. The laboratory, located in Hampton, Virginia and named after Samuel P. Langley, the third secretary of the Smithsonian, was used to gather precise data on wing shapes.
Location:Independence Ave at 6th Street, SW Washington,District of Columbia 20560