The Advisory Board for the National Portal, chaired by Allen Weinstein, former Archivist of the United States, is a committee of leading museum executives that meets a couple of times a year to review progress on the National Portal. It held its first meeting June 10, 2010, hosted at the Library of Congress by Deanna Marcum, Associate Librarian for Library Services. The Advisory Board will provide oversight and strategic advice on important issues such as:
- How to encourage broad participation of museums and archives.
- How to maximize the usability and value of the Portal to a variety of users.
- How can the project can ensure its sustainability through funding sources or fees for creating or processing content.
- How to protect the interests of the historical organizations that contribute their data into the National Portal.
The Advisory Board will also review and comment on the recommendations of the Working Group with regard to the development of national standards. Three members of the Advisory Board are also members of the governing Council of AASLH, the American Association for State and Local History. Members of the Advisory Board are:
- Mr. Allen Weinstein, Chair, Former Archivist of the United States
- Mr. Bruce Cole, President of the American Revolution Center and former Chairman of the National Endowment for the Humanities
- Ms. Terry Davis, President and CEO, American Association for State and Local History
- Ms. Ellen S. Dunlap, President, American Antiquarian Society
- Mr. D. Stephen Elliott, President and CEO, New York State Historical Association and Council member of AASLH
- Ms. Barbara Franco, Executive Director, Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission and Council member of AASLH
- Mr. Brent Glass, Director, National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institution
- Mr. Edwin S. Grosvenor, President, American Heritage Publishing
- Mr. Nik Honeysett, Head of Administration, J. Paul Getty Museum. Mr. Honeysett represents the American Association of Museums and is Chair of AAM’s Media and Technology Standing Professional Committee
- Ms. Deanna Marcum, Associate Librarian for Library Services, The Library of Congress
- Dr. Edward C. Papenfuse, State Archivist of Maryland
- Mr. Robert C. Wilburn, Former President of the Gettysburg Foundation and of the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.