Captain William Bowen was awarded land grants for military services during the Revolutionary War and the home was built around 1787. He and his wife, Mary, brought four young children to the frontier, and soon Captain Bowen and Mary had ten children. Through his hard work and own ambitions, Bowen became prosperous in the new settlement and eventually owned over 4,000 acres. William Bowen died in 1804, and Mary died in 1827. The house was then occupied by their son, William Russell Bowen, until it was sold in 1835.