Secession Chair

Date:
ca. 1859-1860
Publisher/Studio:
The Charleston Museum

One of a set of six, these chairs were used by delegates to South Carolina's "Secession Convention" at St. Andrew's Hall, on Broad Street, December 20, 1860. The assembly later marched to South Carolina Institute Hall for the ceremonial signing of the Ordinance of Secession that evening. The remaining chairs, the accompanying table and the Secession President's chair are on permanent exhibition in the Charleston Museum's Civil War gallery.

Institution:
Fort Sumter National Monument