"Slo Poke", M1922 Mark X Gun Motor Carriage

Date:
Rock Island, IL: Rock Island Arsenal

One of a tiny number of experimental self-propelled guns developed by the Ordnance Corps after World War I. "Slo Poke" features a Model 1920 Experimental 4.7 inch Gun mounted on a Caterpillar tractor. It was built at the Rock Island Arsenal and tested at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, Maryland. The driver sat in the small open compartment on the right side. The Field Artillery Branch did not support the development of self-propelled artillery pieces until after the beginning of World War II believing that horses and towed artillery pieces would be adequate.

Location:
1713 Southwest 11th Street Lawton, OK 73501
Identifier:
0.002
Institution:
U.S. Army Field Artillery Museum

"Door Knocker", M12 Gun Motor Carriage

The M12 Gun Motor Carriage was the first heavy self-propelled artillery piece of World War II. Only 100 were produced and they saw heavy use in Europe. It was known as the "Door Knocker" because of its long-range bunker busting capability.

Location:
1713 Southwest 11th Street Lawton, OK 73501
Identifier:
0.001
Institution:
U.S. Army Field Artillery Museum

Awarding Of Battle Honors List

Date:
1-May-45
Creator:
Army Air Corps

The list of officers and men in the Supply Squadron of the 60th Air Depot Group receiving battle honors for service during the New Guinea campaign during World War II includes the name of Staff Sergeant John Ridgely III.

Description (physical):

Material: Paper. H: 26.5cm, W: 20cm.

Location:
535 Hampton Lane Towson,Maryland 21286
Identifier:
HAMP34355
Institution:
Hampton National Historic Site

Frankfort TG-1A (cinema)

Publisher/Studio:
Frankfort Sailplane Company

Stan Corcoran's TG-1A (Training Glider Model 1A) was the first aircraft selected to train U.S. Army glider pilot cadets to fly the Waco CG-4A combat assualt glider. The Waco could be difficult to handle with heavy loads, and a skilled pilot was required to fly it. Until late in the war, Wacos were only produced in limited numbers, and none were available for training. Before bidding on producing the TG-1A, Stan Corcoran had produced gliders for the civilian market at his Frankfort Sailplane Company factory. In May 1942, the firm won a contract to build 40 TG-1As. Read more »

Description (physical):

H: 1.5m, W: 14.1m, L: 7.1m, Wt: 500lbs.

Location:
Independence Ave at 6th Street, SW Washington, District of Columbia 20560
Identifier:
A19830113000cp05
Institution:
Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum

Cessna O-1A Bird Dog

Date:
1950
Publisher/Studio:
Wichita, KS: Cessna Aircraft Company, Inc.

In the Korean War the Bird Dog, affectionately called "the jeep with wings," was used for a variety of missions including artillery spotting, laying communication wire, evacuating wounded and dropping supplies and flares. Then designated the L-19, it was frequently used as an observation platform for field commanders. In September 1962, the Bird Dog was re-designated as the O-1A-the first all metal, high-wing, single-engine aircraft to see service in U.S. Army aviation. During the War in Southeast Asia, the U.S.

Description (physical):

H: 2.28m, W: 10.9m, L: 7.6m, Wt: 1400lbs., Top speed: 208km/hr.

Location:
Independence Ave at 6th Street, SW Washington,District of Columbia 20560
Identifier:
19780403000a
Institution:
Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum
Read more »

West Point Cadet Dwight D. Eisenhower

Date:
c. 1915
Creator:
Paul Roy

The United States Military Academy at West Point along the Hudson River in New York State is where Eisenhower was educated for a life as a soldier. He entered the academy as a “plebe” on June 14, 1911. Over the next several years he learned to live by the school’s motto, “Duty, Honor, and Country.” When he graduated in May, 1915, Eisenhower had the makings of an officer fit to command. Ike gave Mamie a copy of this portrait with an inscription; "For the dearest and sweetest girl in the world, Ike."

Location:
250 Eisenhower Farm Drive Gettysburg, Pennsylvania 17325
Identifier:
ENHS 2100
Institution:
Eisenhower National Historic Site

Gatling Gun Patent Model

Date:
1862
Creator:
Richard J. Gatling

This is a wooden model of the six-barrel repeating gun designed and patented by Richard J. Gatling in 1862. The overall length of this patent model is 36 inches with 11 1/2 inch barrels. The Gatling gun saw little action during the Civil War, but by 1866 it was adopted by the U.S. Army, and in addition, other countries began purchasing it in different models and calibers.

Description (physical):

L: 36"

Location:
Constitution Ave. between 12th and 14th Sts. NW Washington,District of Columbia 20560
Identifier:
0.018
Institution:
Smithsonian National Museum of American History