Battle Flag Of Gurnard

Date:
C. 1940s

Launched 1 June 1942, Gurnard first patrolled the Bay of Biscay for German blockade runners. By 12 June 1943 she was transferred to the Pacific Ocean. There, Gurnard received six battle stars and the Navy Unit Commendation, while her captain, Lieutenant Commander C.H. Andrews, earned the Navy Cross. Gurnard had one of the highest single patrol tonnage scores during World War II--29,700 tons. Her battle flag shows that she destroyed 12 combatant and merchant vessels. The flag also records the total tonnage of the ships sunk. Read more »

Location:
805 Kidder Breese Street SE,District of Columbia,Washington,20374
Identifier:
2011.021.0002
Institution:
National Museum of the U.S. Navy