Barbed Wire

Date:
1944

Segment of barbed wire from the German defenses at Pointe du Hoc, Omaha Beach, Normandy, France. Pointe du Hoc, a fortified German strong hold atop the cliffs west of Omaha Beach, was taken by Companies D, E, and F of the 2nd Ranger Battalion. The Rangers scaled the 100 foot high cliff using grapnel hooks, ropes, and ladders, while under heavy enemy fire. Once the concrete gun emplacements were reached it was discovered that the Germans had moved the five 155 mm guns that the Rangers had been sent to destroy. Patrols were sent out. Incredibly, the weapons were found a short way inland hidden in an orchard and temporally unattended. Sergeants Leonard Lomell and Jack Kuhn used their thermite grenades to damage the guns’ firing mechanisms. Lommell later received the Distinguished Service Cross and Kuhn the Silver Star for destroying these menacing cannon that easily could have caused extensive casualties on the beaches below had they not been put out of action. The attack on Point-du-Hoc was costly and difficult largely due to the failure of the pre-invasion aerial and naval bombardments to seriously damage the site’s defenses. This 1944 relic piece of barbed wire is from atop the cliff the 2nd Rangers scaled on D-Day.

Description (physical):

Metal. L 12.3, H 14.3 cm

Location:
250 Eisenhower Farm Drive Gettysburg,Pennsylvania 17325
Identifier:
EISE 12239
Institution:
Eisenhower National Historic Site

Aerial Bombardment Of Pointe Du Hoc By The US Army Air Force Before D-Day

Date:
1944

Prior to D-Day, the German coastal fortifications at Point du Hoc were bombarded by the U.S. Army Air Forces.  Unfortunately, the aerial bombardment had little effect on these concrete defenses. The men from the US 2nd Ranger Battalion suffered heavy losses while trying to scale the 100 foot high cliff.

Location:
250 Eisenhower Farm Drive Gettysburg, Pennsylvania 17325
Identifier:
EISE 1929895
Institution:
Eisenhower National Historic Site

1st Infantry Division At Omaha Beach, D-Day

Date:
6-Jun-44

The Higgins Boat was the invention of Andrew Jackson Higgins, a New Orleans businessman who owned Higgins Industries, a company that specialized in constructing shallow draft boats.  The boats came in several different sizes.  Most common were ones designated LCVP, Landing Craft Vehicle Personnel.  The standard length was 36 feet long and 10 1/2 feet wide.  The LCVP could carry a platoon of infantrymen or several Willys Jeeps. Read more »

Location:
250 Eisenhower Farm Drive Gettysburg,Pennsylvania 17325
Identifier:
NARA 26-G-2343
Institution:
Eisenhower National Historic Site

US Field Artillery In Action Near Carentan, France

Date:
June 1944

The crew of a 105mm Howitzer fires a round during the fighting near the French town of Carentan.  Located between the American landings at Utah Beach and Omaha Beach, the capture of Carentan was vital to the success of the Allied invasion of Normandy.  The German 6th Parachute Regiment put up stiff resistance there against the 101st Airborne, the 2nd Armored, and 4th Infantry Divisions.  Carentan was liberated by the Americans on June 12, 1944.

Location:
250 Eisenhower Farm Drive Gettysburg,Pennsylvania 17325
Identifier:
NARA 28-1185a
Institution:
Eisenhower National Historic Site

Doll

Date:
1877
Creator:
Jumeau

This is a Parisian doll, made in the Victorian era, is painted a pale pink, with blue eyes, and natural blonde hair.

Description (physical):

Material: Wood, Ceramic, Bisque. H: 49cm.

Location:
5801 Oxford Road Glen Echo,Maryland 20812
Identifier:
CLBA 1803
Institution:
National Park Service