Hartford Plaque

In 1858 the city fathers of Hartford, Connecticut, presented the sloop with this plaque of the city's coat of arms carved from Connecticut's historic charter oak. The hart (male deer) fording the stream refers to the origin of the city's name. The grapevine at the bottom is taken from the state's coat of arms. The oak leaves symbolize freedom. The motto translates, "After the clouds the sun."

Location:
805 Kidder Breese Street SE, Washington, District of Columbia, 20374
Identifier:
2011.0672.0078
Institution:
National Museum of the U.S. Navy