In May 1788, by resolution of the Connecticut General Assembly, the Parish of Newbury was established from land taken from Newtown, New Milford and Danbury in 1752. The parish was given town status and renamed Brookfield. Over the next 200 plus years, the town metamorphosed several times to become the friendly community we now enjoy.
The purpose of the Brookfield Museum and Historical Society is to collect the history of Brookfield and make it available, educational and interesting to all.
In May 2001, the Brookfield Museum and Historical Society went on-line in an attempt to reach out to our friends and neighbors using technology that we playfully imagine our founding fathers had envisioned for us.