The Gamble Plantation's history stretches from Major Robert Gamble, who presided over a large-scale nineteenth-century sugar plantation in the mansion, to Confederate Secretary of State Judah P. Benjamin, who awaited his safe passage to England here after the Confederacy collapsed in 1865. Today, the mansion's furniture and décor evokes an upscale Victorian plantation.
It is the only surviving plantation house in South Florida. It is believed that Confederate Secretary of State, Judah P. Benjamin, took refuge here after the fall of the Confederacy, until his safe passage to England could be secured. In 1925, the house and 16 acres were saved by the United Daughters of the Confederacy and donated to the state. Today, the mansion is furnished in the style of a successful mid-19th century plantation,