The Hermitage, a National Historic Landmark, is located on five acres of lawn shaded by centuries-old trees. The site is listed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places. The fourteen-room Gothic Revival home was built in 1847-48 from designs by William H. Ranlett for Elijah Rosencrantz Jr. The house incorporates portions of a historic 18th-century house.
The Hermitage is owned by the State of New Jersey and operated by the Friends of the Hermitage, Inc. The Friends of the Hermitage, Inc., a private, nonprofit 501(c)(3) corporation, was founded in 1972 to restore, maintain, and interpret the site.