Jerusalem Mill

Jerusalem Mill

A 318 acre tract of land was patented to Nicholas Hempstead and John Walley in 1687, and by the middle of the 19th century it had grown into a successful Quaker village, but after the Civil War it slowly disintegrated due to leasing out and selling of all the village's operations. The gristmill remained in operation until 1961, and Friends of Jerusalem Mill was put together in 1985 to restore and preserve the area. Today the main attraction is the living history program, done on Sundays, which shows how many tasks were completed during the 18th century, including fire cooking, woodworking, and blacksmithing.