- Historic Sites
Lockwood Mathews Mansion Museum
Lockwood's financial reversals in 1869 and his untimely death in 1872 resulted in the loss of the estate, then known as "Elm Park" through foreclosure in 1874. The property was sold to Charles D. Mathews and his wife Rebecca in 1876. Mathews, a prominent importer, from Staten Island, New York, and his family, resided in the mansion until 1938. In 1941 the estate was sold to the City of Norwalk and designated a public park.
When the building was threatened with demolition in the 1950s, local preservationists succeeded in saving the mansion and formed the Lockwood-Mathews Mansion Museum, Inc. Designated a National Historic Landmark in 1971, the structure serves as a valuable resource of 19th-century American history. The museum's mission is to conserve the building while creating educational programs on the material, artistic and social culture of the Victorian era.