Saugerties Light

Saugerties Light

Completed in 1869 at the mouth of Esopus Creek, the Coast Guard lighthouse was abandoned in 1954 and later restored by the Saugerties Lighthouse Conservancy in 1984. Today, the 46-foot-tall lighthouse is accessible by a one-half mile nature trail; its keeper offers personal tours of the lighthouse and its two guest rooms (if not occupied). A museum room features models of 19th-century steamships and a film on the lighthouse’s history and restoration.