Ulster County Historical Society & Bevier House Museum

Ulster County Historical Society & Bevier House Museum

The one-room dwelling, constructed by Andries Van Leuvan, most likely reflected the Dutch tradition of positioning the gable end to the street. In 1715, Louis Bevier of the New Paltz patent purchased the house and property for his third son Louis and wife Maria Hasbrouck. The house and surrounding lands remained in the Bevier family for 223 years. Throughout that time a successful farm provided for the family's needs. The house grew and changed over time with many improvements taking place between 1840 and 1890.