Hickory Township became the Village of Warren, which still exists today. Many efforts have been made to restore and maintain the Village area, and these efforts resulted in the designation of the Village area as a State Historic Site. A marker at Chicago and Mound Roads explains this designation. Warren Township remained a rural area for many years, filling slowly with the common people fleeing hard times in Europe. They turned the swamps into farm land. Little changed until after World War II, when Warren became the industrial center it is today. On October 27, 1957, Gov. G. Mennen Williams signed the charter designating Warren as a City. Between 1960 and 1970 Warren's population doubled with new homes and shopping areas.