Skip to main content

U.s. Brick

March 2023
1min read

For more than a decade after his death in 1885, Ulysses S. Grant’s body lay in a small brick tomb in Manhattan’s Riverside Park. When, in 1897, the general’s remains were moved to the big marble tomb they occupy today, the tomb was torn down, and one of the bricks went to an ex-slave named William R. Davis, who built for it the elaborate and engaging reliquary below.

We know next to nothing about Davis. “I tried to research him,” writes William F. Robinson of Guilford, Connecticut, who sent us these photographs, “but came up with a blank.” Davis was born in North Carolina and possibly served in the Union army—he is referred to as “Lieut. Davis” on the back of one of the pictures—and the ornate wooden shrine he built for the brick is something more than mere homage.



Davis planned to go on the lecture circuit, talking about Grant, and these cabinet photos were almost certainly meant to be sold as souvenirs. The back of one of them is densely printed with encomiums. The “mechanical ingenuity,” writes the reformer Elizabeth Cady Stanton, “shown … in the arrangement of the ‘Brick’ from Grant’s Tomb, is really remarkable. The patience shown in the details of his work is wonderful.” Those details—cut from magazines—include, at the left, scenes of Grant in the Wilderness and, on the right, views of his two tombs.

We continue to ask our readers to send unusual and unpublished old photographs to Carla Davidson at American Heritage, Forbes Building, 60 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10011. Please send a copy of any irreplaceable materials, include return postage, and do not mail glass negatives. We will pay fifty dollars for each one that is run.

We hope you enjoy our work.

Please support this 72-year tradition of trusted historical writing and the volunteers that sustain it with a donation to American Heritage.


Stories published from "February 1990"

Authored by: The Editors

The Gilded Life of Stanford White

Authored by: The Editors

Vaudeville and Popular Culture in New York

Authored by: William Wilson

He didn’t want the job but felt he should do it. For the first time, the soldier who tracked down the My Lai story for the office of the inspector general in 1969 tells what it was like to do some of this era’s grimmest detective work.

Authored by: Edward Sorel

Not every memorable historic moment is on a grand scale. Here, a look at some of the bizarre, true sidelights that add sparkle to the larger picture.

Authored by: The Editors

Since the birth of the nation, the public’s perception of the quality of public schools has swung from approval to dismay and back again. Here an eminent historian traces the course of school reform and finds that neither conservative nor liberal movements ever fully achieve their aims—which may be just as well.

Authored by: Roy Hoopes

Discovering a giant in the family

Authored by: Walter Karp

How Creek Indian number 1501 repaid a debt

Featured Articles

Famous writers including Emerson, Thoreau, Hawthorne, and the Alcotts turned Sleepy Hollow Cemetery into our country’s first conservation project.

Native American peoples and the lands they possessed loomed large for Washington, from his first trips westward as a surveyor to his years as President.

In his Second Inaugural Address, Abraham Lincoln embodied leading in a time of polarization, political disagreement, and differing understandings of reality.

A hundred years ago, America was rocked by riots, repression, and racial violence.

During Pres. Washington’s first term, an epidemic killed one tenth of all the inhabitants of Philadelphia, then the capital of the young United States.

Now a popular state park, the unassuming geological feature along the Illinois River has served as the site of centuries of human habitation and discovery.  

The recent discovery of the hull of the battleship Nevada recalls her dramatic action at Pearl Harbor and ultimate revenge on D-Day as the first ship to fire on the Nazis.

Our research reveals that 19 artworks in the U.S. Capitol honor men who were Confederate officers or officials. What many of them said, and did, is truly despicable.

Here is probably the most wide-ranging look at Presidential misbehavior ever published in a magazine.

When Germany unleashed its blitzkreig in 1939, the U.S. Army was only the 17th largest in the world. FDR and Marshall had to build a fighting force able to take on the Nazis, against the wishes of many in Congress.

Roast pig, boiled rockfish, and apple pie were among the dishes George and Martha enjoyed during the holiday in 1797. Here are some actual recipes.

Born during Jim Crow, Belle da Costa Greene perfected the art of "passing" while working for one of the most powerful men in America.