Skip to main content

Forward To The Past

April 2023
1min read

Room 274, the Secretary of the Navy’s office in Washington’s huge Old Executive Office Building (known as the OEOB), has seen much change, although its architectural inspiration in the style of the French Second Empire remains apparent. The building, close by the White House, originally housed the departments of State, War, and the Navy in its 553 rooms. Nearly seventeen years in the making, it was completed in 1888.

The photograph below, taken about 1912, reveals a lived-in look that has helped obscure the finely stenciled walls and expanse of floor—an intricate mosaic of mahogany, maple, and cherry. But that is nothing compared with its 1960s state, as seen in the small photo opposite. The departments had long been housed elsewhere, and the OEOB had become an annex for White House staff. It is a place of almost perfect sterility—stripped of all riches except the overmantel.

These days the news is better, as the most recent picture shows. Now the Vice-President’s ceremonial office, Room 274 has benefited from a fiveyear rehabilitation effort throughout the building. According to David Kemnitzer, the architect responsible for this area, renovation has meant replication where necessary, has involved a search for original paint pigments, and has demanded that the skills of today’s artisans match those of the first ones. The result restores full honor to a room that Josephus Daniels, Secretary of the Navy during World War I, called the most beautiful not only in Washington but in the entire world.

We hope you enjoy our work.

Please support this 72-year tradition of trusted historical writing and the volunteers that sustain it with a donation to American Heritage.


Stories published from "March 1989"

Authored by: Nancy Shepherdson

Seventy-five years ago Americans paid their first income tax. And liked it.

Authored by: The Editors

The Legend Comes to Life

Authored by: The Editors

Revised Edition

Authored by: The Editors

Rediscovering Its Center

Authored by: Fredric Smoler

Slam Marshall, who is regarded as one of our great military historians, looked into the heart of combat and discovered a mystery there that raised doubts about the fighting quality of U.S. troops. But one GI thought he was a liar…

Authored by: Eric Foner

The more fiercely the Confederacy fought for its independence, the more bitterly divided it became. To fully understand the vast changes the war unleashed on the country, you must first understand the plight of the Southerners who didn’t want secession.

Authored by: The Editors

No less a fan than President Wilson said “The Birth of a Nation” was “like writing history with Lightning.” Movies have taught everybody else history too.

Authored by: John Lukacs

At a time when many are concerned by the nation’s loss of the unassailable economic position it occupied just after World War II, one historian argues that our real strength—and our real peril—lie elsewhere

Authored by: Cynthia Nadelman

He ignored the conventions of his day and became one of the greatest American sculptors of this century

Authored by: J. Samuel Walker

How Franklin Roosevelt’s Secretary of Agriculture sent an eccentric Russian mystic on a sensitive mission to Asia and thereby created diplomatic havoc, personal humiliation, and embarrassment for the administration

Featured Articles

The world’s most prominent actress risked her career by standing up to one of Hollywood’s mega-studios, proving that behind the beauty was also a very savvy businesswoman. 

Rarely has the full story been told about how a famed botanist, a pioneering female journalist, and First Lady Helen Taft battled reluctant bureaucrats to bring Japanese cherry trees to Washington. 

Often thought to have been a weak president, Carter was strong-willed in doing what he thought was right, regardless of expediency or the political fallout.

Why have thousands of U.S. banks failed over the years? The answers are in our history and politics.

In his Second Inaugural Address, Abraham Lincoln embodied leading in a time of polarization, political disagreement, and differing understandings of reality.