Skip to main content

Young Man With An Earphone

March 2023
3min read

A former radio editor recalls some of his early adventures with the wireless. The place is Westbrook, Maine.


My first exposure to wireless, as this form of communication was called in those days, was in 1907 when I happened to glance through a copy of a magazine called Electrical World, which I found on my father’s desk. I read about this new method of communication that was becoming more and more popular here and abroad.

The necessary equipment, fortunately, was simple as compared to that used today, so that a boy who was mechanically minded and interested in electrical matters could put together a workable apparatus.

I interested my father in the possibilities of this thing called wireless and, with his help, acquired a few parts. Some of them came from his shop and some were made at home. I made a wireless receiver and was able to tune in on the air, hoping to hear someone talking—in dots and dashes, of course—thousands of miles away. That was my hope anyway, but it was many months before it was realized.

My first apparatus was a receiver using the coherer as a detector of radio waves. My coherer was a piece of glass tubing such as is found on steam boilers to show the height of water. A small section of the inside of that tubing was filled with nickel and iron filings. The nickel came from a five cent piece; iron filings were obtained the hard way, by the use of a file on soft iron. A metal plug put in at each end led the current in and brought the signal out.

Alongside this glass tube, which was suspended horizontally, was an ordinary doorbell with the clapper so placed that when a radio signal came in and made the filings cohere, the clapper hit the side of the glass tube and loosened the filings, to prepare for the next signal.

The tuner was constructed, as all amateur tuners were in those days, from an oatmeal box wound with whatever wire was available. As many as 150 turns of wire were wound on the cylindrical form. Then the insulation was scraped off in a narrow path across all the turns, thus exposing the bare wires. A spring slider was then arranged so that it could be moved along the exposed turns to bring into the circuit as many turns as would be needed to tune to a particular station.

Finally I had a pair of earphones through which to hear the signals that the coherer picked up. The earphones in those days were usually not available to an amateur unless his family was well-to-do. For that reason I, like many others, was likely to “borrow” a single phone from an ordinary telephone wall box. It was an awkward accessory, but effective to a degree.

One of the interesting events, as I remember it now, occurred on a morning soon after I put this combination of rough odds and ends together. It was my practice to tune in right after breakfast. This particular day was rainy and stormy. The first sound I heard was not dots and dashes, but a woman’s voice. The wireless telephone wasn’t in existence at that time, so that sound was more mystifying to me than dots and dashes could be. I pressed the phones to my ears and finally detected the voice of a neighbor across the street. Apparently because of the dampness of telephone wires, insulators, etc., and the fact that a radio set is always connected to the ground, her voice was leaking into my set and being detected just as though it had come through the air. I never was able to do it again.

My first transmitter was an ordinary automobile ignition coil which didn’t last very long because of a boy’s normal desire to feed as much current into it as he could. I finally put in a bit more than the coil could stand. My father, by then becoming interested in wireless, bought me a 250-watt transformer. That, together with two brass spheres taken from an old type metal bedstead, was used as a spark gap. This combination enabled me to make more noise around the neighborhood than any one youngster had a right to make—particularly if windows were open. The 250 watts jumping across a brass-ball gap would silence anybody—certainly within the house and for some distance outside. The rule in those days was—the more noise made, the more powerful the station. Actually it didn’t work out that way, but it was a good formula for us to believe in.


It wasn’t then a boast that you could get the Philharmonic in good tone and with full range of frequency. It was much more to your credit if you could say, for instance, that you had picked up 25 stations ranging from New York to Los Angeles—as often happened. That was radio exploration at its best.

We hope you enjoy our work.

Please support this 72-year tradition of trusted historical writing and the volunteers that sustain it with a donation to American Heritage.


Stories published from "August 1955"

Authored by: Ruth Painter Randall

New light on the tragic case of a President’s widow who saw her own son as a hated enemy

Authored by: The Editors

Newspaper ads from occupied New York illumine Revolutionary War loyalties

Authored by: Louis Morton

Military science was very rigid in the 1600’s. It quickly changed when Americans began to fight Indians

Authored by: Bernard A. Weisberger

Calling millions to repentance, Moody and Sankey devised a new method of spreading the gospel

Authored by: The Editors

Never before printed, the headquarters record of the British conqueror of New York illuminates crucial events of the American Revolution.

Authored by: Victor W. Von Hagen

Some men see the beginnings. The conquistador who first saw the Mississippi also took the Inca highway to fabulous Cuzco.

Authored by: Daniel O’flaherty

Not until the Civil War was about over did the U.S. Navy manage to put a halt to the South’s imports

Authored by: William Brandon

The imagined liberty of Rousseau’s primitive individual was actually attained by the free trappers who helped America gain a continent

Authored by: Rudolph Marx, M.d.

Stalwart as he was, the general was often ill. A doctor studies his record and notes shortcomings in Eighteenth-Century medical care.

Authored by: Ruth B. Davidson

Distant lands supplied patriotic tableware to the new Republic

Featured Articles

Rarely has the full story been told how a famed botanist, a pioneering female journalist, and First Lady Helen Taft battled reluctant bureaucrats to bring Japanese cherry trees to Washington. 

Why have thousands of U.S. banks failed over the years? The answers are in our history and politics.

Often thought to have been a weak President, Carter was strong-willed in doing what he thought was right, regardless of expediency or political fallout.

In his Second Inaugural Address, Abraham Lincoln embodied leading in a time of polarization, political disagreement, and differing understandings of reality.

Native American peoples and the lands they possessed loomed large for Washington, from his first trips westward as a surveyor to his years as President.

A hundred years ago, America was rocked by riots, repression, and racial violence.

During Pres. Washington’s first term, an epidemic killed one tenth of all the inhabitants of Philadelphia, then the capital of the young United States.

Now a popular state park, the unassuming geological feature along the Illinois River has served as the site of centuries of human habitation and discovery.  

The recent discovery of the hull of the battleship Nevada recalls her dramatic action at Pearl Harbor and ultimate revenge on D-Day as the first ship to fire on the Nazis.

Our research reveals that 19 artworks in the U.S. Capitol honor men who were Confederate officers or officials. What many of them said, and did, is truly despicable.

Here is probably the most wide-ranging look at Presidential misbehavior ever published in a magazine.

When Germany unleashed its blitzkreig in 1939, the U.S. Army was only the 17th largest in the world. FDR and Marshall had to build a fighting force able to take on the Nazis, against the wishes of many in Congress.