Gloucester Museum Of History
The Gloucester County Museum of History is housed in the historic Botetourt Building, a pre-Revolutionary brick ordinary tavern built in 1770 at the county seat. Botetourt Towne, as it was called then, was named for Lord Botetourt, the first governor of Virginia. Permanent exhibits at the museum include Gloucester Archaeology; Civil and Revolutionary War displays; the Old Country Store with Post Office; and Memories of the Hotel Botetourt. Visitors should also be aware of the special exhibits that change monthly.