Rogers Island Visitors Center
From 1756 to 1759, Rogers Island was used as a training ground for Major Robert Rogers, from which the Island takes its name. Here, Rogers trained irregular fighting forces and composed his 28 ranging rules. Fort Edward and Rogers Island were evacuated in 1766 and left to ruin during the American War of Independence, though it was briefly garrisoned until 1777. During the 1800s, the Island was used to train militia for the American Civil War, with the northern tip of the Island being inhabited by civilians.
The visitors center, opened in 2001, houses exhibits documenting the Native American occupation and the history of nearby Fort Edward and artifacts from the Little Wood Creek Archaeological Site, once a Native American village area.