Sherwood Forest Plantation
The plantation, first recorded in a 1616 land grant, was originally known as Smith's Hundred. The house was built around 1720 and is a classic example of Virginia Tidewater design: big house, little house, colonnade, and kitchen. It had several owners before Tyler purchased the home and its surrounding 1,600 acres in 1842. He bought the plantation from his cousin, Collier Minge, while he was still in the White House and renamed the plantation "Sherwood Forest" referring to his reputation as a political outlaw. The longest frame house in America, it stretches more than 300 feet and has a dozen outbuildings. The interior reflects the lifestyle of this mid-19th century family.