Skip to main content

Saugerties Light

Saugerties Light

Completed in 1869 at the mouth of Esopus Creek, the Coast Guard lighthouse was abandoned in 1954 and later restored by the Saugerties Lighthouse Conservancy in 1984. Today, the 46-foot-tall lighthouse is accessible by a one-half mile nature trail; its keeper offers personal tours of the lighthouse and its two guest rooms (if not occupied). A museum room features models of 19th-century steamships and a film on the lighthouse’s history and restoration.

We hope you enjoy our work.

Please support this 72-year tradition of trusted historical writing and the volunteers that sustain it with a donation to American Heritage.


Featured Articles

Rarely has the full story been told how a famed botanist, a pioneering female journalist, and First Lady Helen Taft battled reluctant bureaucrats to bring Japanese cherry trees to Washington. 

Often thought to have been a weak president, Carter was strong-willed in doing what he thought was right, regardless of expediency or the political fallout.

Why have thousands of U.S. banks failed over the years? The answers are in our history and politics.

In his Second Inaugural Address, Abraham Lincoln embodied leading in a time of polarization, political disagreement, and differing understandings of reality.

Native American peoples and the lands they possessed loomed large for Washington, from his first trips westward as a surveyor to his years as President.