Black Police Precinct And Courthouse
In September 1944, Miami's first five black police officers were sworn in and given the responsibility of patrolling the Central Negro District, which included today's Overtown and parts of Liberty City. As the separate police force grew, this modern building was constructed as headquarters for the patrols and as a municipal court where black defendants were tried before an African-American judge. The police precinct and courthouse operated in this building until July 1963, when the black officers were integrated into the Miami Police Department. This building is currently awaiting rehabilitation.