Indian River Life Saving Station
The station was built in 1876 for use by the United States Lifesaving Service, a government organization created to respond to the alarming number of shipwrecks along the coastlines of the United States. This building was originally located 400 feet closer to the shore, but a sand dune began to form around it almost as soon as it was finished. It was moved to its present location in 1877. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
The station has been converted into a museum, and is now operated by Delaware Seashore State Park. The park offers guided tours of the museum and runs nature programs out of the station site.