Spanish Governor's Palace
The Spanish Governor's Palace is an excellent example of a large Spanish colonial townhouse. Constructed in 1749, it was used as the headquarters and residence of the captain of the San Antonio De Bexar Presidio and dubbed the "Spanish Governor's Palace." The residence was later the home of Ignatio Perez, governor of Texas from 1815 to 1817. The one-story stuccoed stone building surrounds a traditional Spanish courtyard. It also has wrought iron window grilles and an entrance with a keystone bearing the Hapsburg coat of arms. The Spanish Governor's Palace is the only remaining example in Texas of an aristocratic 18th-century Spanish residence.